Journal for Vascular Ultrasound
Editor-in-Chief Announcement and Position Description
The Journal for Vascular Ultrasound (JVU), the official quarterly peer-reviewed journal of the Society for Vascular Ultrasound (SVU), is seeking an Editor-in-Chief to take JVU to the next level.
The Editor-in-Chief (EIC) is the head of the JVU editorial team. He/she is responsible for:
- Framing journal editorial policy jointly with publication partner (currently SAGE publications) and the SVU Executive Director, working with the Editorial team on development plans, indexing strategy, etc.;
- Implementing the strategic vision for the Journal set by the SVU Board of Directors, including submission of application for indexing in PubMed in calendar year 2021;
- Partnering with the SVU Executive Director for continual improvement of the journal;
- Ensuring an adequate flow of material to meet the publication schedules;
- Working with the Editorial team/Editorial Board to commission Special Issues;
- Assisting in the appointment of other members of the editorial team for the journal;
- Distributing journal business cards/flyers/other promotional material at conferences;
- Overseeing the double-blind Peer Review process;
- Actively recruiting authors to contribute manuscripts to the journal;
- Final decisions on the acceptance or rejection of articles submitted to the journal. In all cases the Editor-in-Chief’s decision on a paper will be final;
- Dealing with all author appeals regarding decisions;
- Maintaining ongoing, clear communications with authors, reviewers, and SVU leadership;
- Overseeing the volunteer Editorial Board, convening and chairing its semi-annual meetings;
- Providing semi-annual activity reports to the SVU Board of Directors.
Additional position information:
- On average, this position will require 10-15 hours per week.
- Duties to begin November 2020, with assumption of full duties beginning January 1, 2021.
- This position reports to the SVU Executive Director.
- This position has one direct report, the JVU Associate Editor, and manages the team of volunteer editorial reviewers
- This position is for a 3-year term beginning January 1, 2021, renewable once for another 3-years. Employment is at will for both parties.
- The Editor-in-Chief, Associate Editor, SVU Executive Director, SVU Staff and publication partner (currently SAGE Publications) meet monthly to discuss strategy and issues.
The Journal for Vascular Ultrasound (JVU) is the official quarterly peer-reviewed publication of the Society for Vascular Ultrasound. With a circulation of over 7000 SVU members, sonographers and institutions, JVU covers the unique overlay of vascular medicine and ultrasound technology, and is the go-to resource by vascular laboratory professionals to find the latest technology, techniques, research, case studies and more. JVU plans on submitting its application for inclusion in the PubMed/Medline index in 2021, and the Editor-in-Chief will be deeply involved in that effort.
Candidates must hold one of the following: RVT, RVS, or RPVI credential, or MD or DO degrees.
Advanced degree preferred.
Candidates must have authored 10 or more manuscripts published in medical or scientific journals, or a medical book or chapter of a medical book (List publications in CV).
Candidates must have experience reviewing articles for medical or scientific journals.
SVU membership is not required.
HOW TO APPLY
Application deadline is Oct. 1, 2020.
Please submit materials here, and include the following:
- A cover letter indicating your relevant experience vis a vis the roles and responsibilities of the position, as well as your vision for JVU.
- Most recent CV
- Professional Letter of Reference
Materials may also be submitted in a single email with attachments (PDF or Word Doc only) with the subject line “JVU Editor Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please note: below, you will see a reference to "Points" for this opportunity. This is a field in our volunteer management database that we cannot disable. Applicants should ignore any reference to Points.